Chemicals and Nutrients for Your Brain
People who suffer from anxiety disorder are normally prescribed drugs to counteract their anxiety. However, oftentimes, anti-anxiety medicines only deal with the symptoms and not the root causes. Anti-anxiety medication often provoke dislike from people who have used them for some time. The reason is because people who have been taking anti-anxiety medication suffer also from their side effects, not to mention the thought that they are not really getting any better.
If you are on certain anti-anxiety medication, it is important to know that it isn’t the only option available. Here are some foods and drinks that can help you fight anxiety.
1) Chamomile tea is a good drink to have if you feel too stressed. This tea helps you relax your body and ease your mind. Chamomile tea can help you rest during those nights when you have trouble sleeping. Your mental state will be eased by the natural sedative properties of this tea.
2) Turkey contains a substance called tryptophan that can trick your mind in feeling more calm and relaxed. A chemical responsible for maintaining balance in the brain, serotonin, comes from tryptophan. Tryptophan consumed through food also helps in relieving anxiety.
3) Eating avocado can help you maintain good mental and psychological well-being. They are a natural source of potassium, an element that helps lower blood pressure. It can help you prevent anxiety-induced heart attack by keeping your heart rate steady.
4) The health and well-being of your brain can be improved by eating lots of green leafy vegetables and hemp oil. They are anxiety busters. A crucial player in brain-adrenal axis balance is magnesium, which is found in green leafy vegetables.
5) Eating dark chocolate helps you keep calm. Dark chocolate has more cocoa which contain substances known to relieve stress and induce calmness.
6) Research has shown that aside from its other health benefits turmeric can help ease symptoms of depression and anxiety. Turmeric has many healthy properties like anti-inflammatory, healing, and maintaining blood sugar balance.
7) One of the substances that reduce the incidence of anxiety is folic acid. Folic acid is found richly in asparagus. When the level of folic acid in your body goes down, your brain’s neurotransmitters will be impaired, this causes anxiety and stress.
8) Organ meats such as liver are also rich in vitamin B. Vitamin B is also necessary for methylation, a process responsible for serotonin production.
9) Your brain needs zinc to stay healthy, and oysters contain a lot of zinc. Anxiety disorder is caused by a deficiency in zinc.
10) Your gut needs to be healthy for your brain to be healthy. A dairy drink called kefir contains probiotics that help maintain the balance of bacteria in your gut.